Sunday, July 6, 2008

After the Accident, Back in Action

This blog has been dead since February.  That's because in early March I was in a car accident just north of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.  We were T-boned.  I saw it coming and had two thoughts:  1) we were all going to die and 2) if we don't, what a nightmare it will be dealing with the Mexican legal system.  We survived, all of us.  We did have to pay a bribe demanded by the Federale.  That's all I ever want to see of the Mexican legal system.

God bless the safety engineers at Honda.  The Chrysler that hit us broadside was totaled.  My wife was bruised on the side where she was knocked into me.  Otherwise, not a scratch.  I got the worst of anyone in the CRV.  I suffered a concussion and awful whiplash.  The concussion cleared after 48 hours.  The whiplash has taken three months to resolve itself, and it's still nagging me, sometimes freezing up my entire left side.  But I'm pushing through it every week, getting better with every run and work out. 

I'm recovered enough to take up hiking and biking again.  I did the Tour de Bosque 50 mile bike ride to raise funds for AIDS research two weeks ago.  Tomorrow I am heading into the Sandias to see if I have the stamina for a long hike in the Summer heat.  I'm sure I'll be fine.  I hope to have photos to prove it. 

No comments: